Board index Ideas and Suggestions Suggestion for bench players

Suggestion for bench players

Constructive ideas to help make the TC better.

Moderator: Todd Lapham

Post Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 pm

If one team has more players than another, instead of sitting them, they should be allowed to play against the course. Birdie gets them a point, par is a push, and bogey+ loses them a point.
Drew Smith
PDGA #16073 | NEFA#313

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 am

While it must be frustrating to have to sit out, there is no way to just have match play against the course. While you idea is interesting, this in my opinion is why it will not work. I just played a match on Sunday that had birdies as push holes. So how is it that a player challenging the course should be rewarded for a birdie, yet head to head a birdie could mean nothing. Another example, I was 12 feet from basket with the potential for a birdie; then my competitor made an ace. Once again, the birdie would have been meaningless; so why should a player challenging the course be rewarded for a birdie. This is team challenge, not course challenge. My best advice is to have the person not playing help the rest of the team by ensuring lunch is ready.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm

That's a clever idea, but then there's the question of "well what's par anyway?" (ahem...Maine courses).

One of the guys on our team had a suggestion that would incentivize road travel and punish being light at home (a problem we've run into over the years - sitting players on the road): road team gets to match up doubles teams against singles players for match play for however many players would have otherwise sat. This penalty would not exist if road teams traveled light to a home team's course.

I thought it was a neat idea.
CHAINSBURY -- Never Forget

Return to Ideas and Suggestions