Board index General Discussion Injuries during play

Injuries during play

Non TC related stuff.

Moderator: Todd Lapham

Post Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:06 pm

How are injuries dealt with when only one member of a doubles team gets hurt? Can the remaining member continue as cali or do they forfeit the matchup?
Jeff Wiechowski
Co-Captain DisCaptains

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

They should never have to forfeit the match. The cool thing to do would be to allow remaining player to play cali. I'd be cool with that as a captain but at the very least they would be able to play 1 vs 2 straight up.
DisCap President
DisCaptains Co-Captain
PDGA 37696
NEFA 1163

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 am

From PDGA rules

Best Shot
Best Shot is by far the most popular doubles format. Both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the team chooses which of the resulting lies to continue play from, until the hole is completed.

- A team may take a reasonable amount of time to pick which lie they want before the 30-second play clock starts.
- A lie that is picked up without being marked is gone forever; the team must throw from the other lie. If the second lie is picked up, it must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
- If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.
- In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone, throwing one shot at each lie (essentially playing singles).

As a captain I'd be ok with cali. With our team being on either side of the equation.
DisCap President
DisCaptains Co-Captain
PDGA 37696
NEFA 1163

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Sucks but I would say they should play singles. There's a chance that someone would take a dive so that their partner could go cali and do better than they would as partners. Just a first thought though.
B Pool Comissioner
Team Webster Captain
Still Shirtless after all these years, but I converted to Scientology

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

If I was aware of this situation, I would have given the option to play cali.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Kaczowka wrote:
There's a chance that someone would take a dive so that their partner could go cali and do better than they would as partners.
Yea that would be pretty lame
Jeff Wiechowski
Co-Captain DisCaptains

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Top Pro Cali > Top Pro/Bad partner

I would default to the PDGA (singles), but as always, have the option for the other Captain to agree to whatever.
Team Burgess
FYF

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:10 pm

This shouldn't even be questioned... I was there I asked if we could contact their captain bc I didn't have my phone and I could not make the call alone and couldn't contact my co captain either. The guys partner had to leave the course anyway to get a car to pick the guy up as he claimed he couldn't walk to parking lot. After the match both team captains agreed was the right call since they were only 3-4 holes into play.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Jersey wrote:
This shouldn't even be questioned... I was there I asked if we could contact their captain bc I didn't have my phone and I could not make the call alone and couldn't contact my co captain either. The guys partner had to leave the course anyway to get a car to pick the guy up as he claimed he couldn't walk to parking lot. After the match both team captains agreed was the right call since they were only 3-4 holes into play.

What happened at West T should stand as there was no specific TC rule to fall back on. I think it should be spelled out in the rules going forward so we all KNOW what course of action to take.
Jeff Wiechowski
Co-Captain DisCaptains

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 pm

I agree... it has never came up something that should be addressed going forward though

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm

This would fall under the 2v1 odd number rule, imo. No?
Team Burgess
FYF

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Todd Lapham wrote:
This would fall under the 2v1 odd number rule, imo. No?
I read the 2v1 rule as something to apply if a team is odd BEFORE matchups started. This injury happened after the dubs round started.
Jeff Wiechowski
Co-Captain DisCaptains

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Yes, I realize that. Does it really make a difference?

2 vs 1 is allowed and played as stroke play. Why would this be different? I think the same ruling would be applied. No?
Team Burgess
FYF

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 am

Todd Lapham wrote:
Yes, I realize that. Does it really make a difference?

2 vs 1 is allowed and played as stroke play. Why would this be different? I think the same ruling would be applied. No?

I guess what I'm asking for is that its spelled out in the 1st post of Rules/Guidelines 2016. There was some indecision about it in this instance.
Jeff Wiechowski
Co-Captain DisCaptains

Return to General Discussion